BUD 620 Paths and Bhumis:
The Path to Enlightenment
Course Credits: 2 credits
Course Code: BUD 620
Course Description: This course is a presentation of the five paths on the voyage to awakening, the ten bodhisattvas’ bhumis, or levels of realization, and the result: the enlightenment, buddha’s kayas and wisdoms as well as enlightened activity. We will study what is required to embark and progress on the path and what the goal of such spiritual journey is.
Prerequisite: Though any student may take any intermediate course at any time, it is recommended that students complete the Foundation Curriculum before beginning the Intermediate Curriculum, then take all four intermediate courses in the order of:
- BUD 601 Chittamatra Philosophical Tradition: Appearances are Mere Mind
- BUD 610 Madhyamaka Philosophical Tradition: Not Even a Middle
- BUD 620 Paths and Bhumis: The Path to Enlightenment
- BUD 630 Buddha Nature: Luminous Heart of the Tathagata
Instructor: Dr. Phil Stanley
At your convenience!
- Explanation of the five paths: path of accumulation, of preparation, of seeing, of
familiarization, and the final path
- Presentation of the ten bodhisattva bhumis
- Explanation of the three kayas
- Explanation of the five buddha wisdoms
- Explanation of the qualities of freedom and maturation
- Root text: The Presentation of Bhumis, Paths & Results in the Treasury of Knowledge (Salam), by Jamgön Kongtrül Lodrö Thaye, Nitartha Institute Publications
- Commentary on the Presentation of Bhumis, Paths & Results in the Treasury of Knowledge by Acharya Lama Tenpa Gyaltsen, Nitartha Institute Publications
You are responsible for purchasing your course texts from the Nalanda Store. Click here to go to the Nalanda Store. Once you are at the Nalanda Store website, enter the word Nitartha in the top right search box. All Nitartha Institute publications will be featured.
If there are further questions about texts, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mode of Instruction
The class is part of our online campus and is available as streaming video, as well as downloadable audio. There are also posted study questions, recommended readings, exam questions and the ability to contact a distance learning advisor with questions.
You will receive an email providing information about accessing the online course within a week of registering.Register Now
For questions about this course as a Self-Paced Online Course, contact SPOC Coordinator Jenny Shu at email@example.com.